Seven die after drinking methanol hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party

Category: Kenya 4 0

Seven die after taking methanol sanitiser. (Shutterstock)

Seven people have died and two more are in comas after drinking hand sanitiser at a party when they ran out of alcohol. The group of nine drank the antiseptic hand wash at a party on Thursday in Tomtor village in the Yakutia region of Russia.

The first three victims were a 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59, while six others were flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to regional capital Yakutsk. On Friday three more men, aged 28, 32 and 69, had also died.

ALSO READ: Toddler taken to hospital after grandma feeds him hand sanitiser

One more death was reported yesterday, although their age and sex has not yet been released, while the other two remain in the intensive care unit. Federal public health watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor reported: “Nine cases of poisoning with sanitiser have been registered, including seven that were fatal.”

The regional state prosecutor said: “The poisoning took place as a result of drinking sanitiser.”

Partygoers drank the sanitiser which was 69 per cent methanol. It had been sold as a hand cleanser during the pandemic. Health officials warned locals not to drink the Russian-made antiseptic.

A criminal case has been opened.

RELATED ARTICLES

Originally published here: standardmedia.co.ke

Related Articles

Add Comment